Sunday, January 8, 2012

Profile of a Pugsley



There is no snow, temps are at record highs. Hardly the time to talk about snow riding, but I thought I would take a minute to show off my blue collar ride. My stable consists of bikes (I'm not giving a number as my wife may read this) that are solid rides, but not a lot of flair. This one has had a few changes, but basically the same ride that has guided me through the last few winters.

The frame is a 16" Surly Pugsley that I have had for the last 3 years. There was considerable rust on the frame, so it was powdercoated black this year. The racks are Evingson? I got them via Tri who got them via Reimer (I believe).

Wheels are composed of Speedway 70mm hoops laced to Deore rear/Surly SS front hubs. I bought them before Darryl's or Flattops came along. They are shod with Larry 3.8" tires front and rear. Tubes are Surly/QBP.

The part with the most bling is the Phil Wood BB. LX cranks with a 32/22 rings and a bashguard up front. I left off the front changer (one less thing to get frozen) and just stop and change the chain manually if I need to switch chainrings. Deore rear der with a 9sp 12-32 cassette. I'll get a 34 for the back the next time I need a new one. 20T fixed gear on the front wheel to get me out of trouble if stranded.

The cockpit is based around Salsa Woodchipper bars. I tried flat bars and reg drops, but numb hands (once for a few months after Arrowhead) led me to the Woodchippers. No more problems. Tektro levers to Avid BB7's provide the stopping power. Gears are changed via Paul Components' Thumbies on the top of the bar. I have no problem with regular bar ends, but this way I can keep my hands in my pogies when shifting.

I have tried to like other saddles. I started riding a Brooks saddle 3 years ago and have since been unhappy with anything but. This is back on after trying something else. Key point is to break these in during the warmer months.

Flat pedals vs clipless. An ongoing debate for fatbike riders. Most of the fast fellas are running clipless. After trying all the tricks for clipless, I chose flats with big boots. I run MKS flat pedals with studs in them. Excellent grip. Power transfer to the pedals is not as efficient, but my feet stay warm.

 My bike is missing many elements of the periodic table. No carbon, titanium, or magnesium. Very little aluminium. As pictured it tips the scale at 37lbs.
 
Next post I hope to show the bike all dressed up for the dance.


J-No

PS-In the case of the missing camera, Violet (one of the 3 year old twins) found it in one of her doll's diaper bag. Thanks V!!

PPS-Training update- the last 2 weeks have seen the usual 7-9 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Does that Brooks saddle compromise your lofty man-parts? Personally, I need a saddle with a significant "valley" to accommodate my extra-ordinary naughty-bits...
      Hugs,
      Your Old Cross Country Running Coach and member of the JM Hardmen

      Delete